STANDARDS Link - Volume 1 Issue 16 - Metrology
Metrology is the science of measurement. The Saint Lucia Bureau of Standards administers the Metrology Act No. 17 of 2000 and the Metrology Regulations No. 113 of 2001. Our metrology legislation is derived from recommendations of the International Organization of Legal Metrology (OIML) and is therefore WTO compliant. This legislation gives the Bureau responsibility to regulate all weights and measures activity on the island. The Metrology Department of the Bureau is equipped and capable of providing much needed verification and calibration services for the public/private sectors and consumers. Such services will also assist businesses in operating within the legal framework of the Metrology Act. The SLBS, as the national metrology institute, is a member of the Inter-American Metrology System (SIM) -the regional metrology organization for the Americas.
Functions of the SLBS Metrology Department
- To maintain a uniform system of units of measurement;
- To ensure accuracy of measuring instruments used in trade, health, safety and the environment;
- To maintain confidence in the quantities of goods offered for sale;
- To provide representation at the National and International level concerning Metrology.
- Pattern/Type Approval of Measuring Instruments
- Verification of Measuring Instruments
- Calibration of Measuring Instruments
- Measurement Assurance